Upgrading DPM 2010 RC to RTM

Finally got around to upgrading my DPM 2010 RC to the RTM version, so thought to quickly run through it on the blog as well. I guess I can run this one without screenshots this time as the steps should be clear enough.
Started out with the DPM 2010 upgrade advisor you can find at http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/F/3/FF3347F5-C076-400C-A77A-B6FFA0EA56A4/DPM%20Upgrade%20Advisor.xls
My situation is DPM 2010 RC to DPM 2010 RTM on Windows 2008 R2 with a local database and no localization or other special options. The upgrade advisor gave me the following todo list:
1. Close DPM administrator console and DPM management shell if opened.
2. Launch DPM 2010 RTM Retail setup and proceed by clicking on Install DPM
3. Complete the installation wizard and restart the computer to complete the upgrade (if prompted).
4. Upgrade agents on production servers
5. Run consistency check for all the protected Datasources
6. Uninstall DPM 2010 RC SQL instance (Optional) if there are no issues after upgrade. However, if you’re looking for downgrade then DPM 2010 RC DPMDB is required.
Looks like the plan I had in my head, so that is good.B)
When running the installer it could see it was about an upgrade already :!:. Walked through the steps of the wizard; simple enough. Runs some prerequisite checks, asks you where to install the SQL database and if you want to use another SQL instance. It will ask for a strong password to run some services. It will install SQL 2008 SP1 and DPM 2010, so will have to wait a little for that to finish.
The upgrade was successful. I got new icons on the desktop and in the program itself, so that is nice 😀
So the next step is to upgrade the agents. Opened the DPM console and went to agent management. Upgraded most agents from there. I know the few workstations are turned off at the moment and the Forefront TMG server is blocking the upgrade because of its firewall. No big issues there, I can fix that part. Most agents now have version 3.0.7696.0.
So next is running the consistency checks on the protection groups. That takes a while.
Meanwhile try to uninstall the old SQL instances. Hmmm, an error!:-/ Seems it has a problem accessing one file and because of that it did not want to uninstall the Report Server feature of both old SQL instances (yeah, I also still had the DPM Beta instance there). It did remove the database engine though for both. The security settings on both files he had a problem with seemed to be fine, so I tried the old troubleshooting technique of the impatient and successful system admin … Reboot!:crazy:
After the reboot I was able to remove both old SQL Reporting Services instances. :lalala: Told you!
Now continue to let it check anything that is not consistent and fix where needed.
Looks like a good update!
Bob Cornelissen